Pages

Sunday 29 October 2017

Chemical Change - Fire




T4W3 : MONDAY  
Chemical Change - Fire
Ask a question
What will happen if you combine the paper and the matches?
Construct a hypothesis( make a guess)
I think that the paper will burn.
Conduct the experiment
Screenshot 2017-10-30 at 2.33.23 PM.pngScreenshot 2017-10-30 at 2.32.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2017-10-30 at 2.30.34 PM.png
Record your observations and data:  Change of colour, release of gas,
Analyse information
Report results
Today we conducted an experiment on paper and matches. A chemical change is something that is irreversible after being formed.Before conducting the experiment, we needed to complete the scientific method which is..
  • Make an assumption (Guess)
  • Conduct experiment
  • Record observations
  • Analyse information
  • Report results
I made a guess that the paper would burn. While the experiment was held, I noticed…
  • Change of colour
  • Release of gas

As soon as the newspaper was burnt, there was a sudden change in the formula of the paper. It transformed into ashes. The temperature changed by quite a mile and there was clearly a release of gas. I believe this helped expand my knowledge in chemical change. I would also like to try more experiments to see how they are unable to be reversed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kia orana ALicia,

The choice of words in your table is astounding. I also noticed those things, yet I wrote up in a different way. I actually had no idea that fire was counted as a chemical change. Did you know?

Unknown said...

Kia Ora Alicia

I really liked how you explained what the scientific method was and how we can use it. I do a variation of this experiment quite regularly when I BBQ. As I have a charcoal BBQ I have to buy charcoal and I get it in paper bags and to start the BBQ you have to light the paper. Paper burns so well because it is made from a very flammable resource which is wood that obviously comes from a tree. Do you know what are the three components necessary for lighting a fire?

Post a Comment